Thursday 15 December 2016

2016-12-05 Eyre Loop

I managed to get some casual work at Kimba for this year's grain harvest and due to a quite period in the harvest I had a day off and went for a ride around Eyre Peninsula.

From Kimba I went South to Cleve and on to Arno Bay. A mostly straight road for about half the distance to Cleve but gets more curvy in the latter half as the road crosses a range of hills. With a couple advisory speeds of 35 k/h on a few bends just to keep us awake.

Onto Arno Bay though not the sunniest day to visit a coastal town and at 95km from Kimba a handy rest stop.



Then headed South along Lincoln Hwy to Tumby Bay where I made a right turn for Cummins.
I liked this road as it was mainly long sweeping bends across another range of hills with the highest hill top having the local TV transmission tower was placed.

At Cummins I stopped at the local Supermarket and then across the road/rail line to the take a way shop for lunch. While there I heard the sounds of a diesel engine and the 4 loco set stopped beside where I was sitting. They were dropping off some empty grain wagons for the silos at Cummins.

This one in an ex SAR (South Australian Railways) 830 class with the section in front of the cab modified.

 
Don't know about this one (yet) as I've never seen one before but it was the noisy one I heard. Probably ex Commonwealth/ANR.
 
 
This one is another ex SAR 830 class one and 50 plus years old. I was aged six (March 1962) when 850 came into South Australia.
 
 
850 in Cockburn March 1962 - photo dad took after it crossed the border. Dad says whole town came to have a look.
 

And this one, another one that I don't yet know about.
 
 
Cummins Take-a-way shop and they sold fuel as well so topped the tank as well.
 
 
As a child I lived here as well (dad worked in the railways).
 
Most of Eyre Peninsula has some form of grain growing so I stopped and took a pic of the bike in front of one of the paddocks. This is beside the Tod Hwy about 30km North of Cummins.



About 50km west of Kimba on the Eyre Hwy and looking Southwards you get to see this little hill called Caralue Bluff


A good time to try out the 200mm lens.


And along the road as well.


The way I went.

http://goo.gl/maps/pVrTEVLScDG2


No comments:

Post a Comment