Sunday 20 August 2017

2012-12-07 Naracoorte Caves Weekend

What started as a just ride a to Naracoorte turned out to be a little more as I had two stops to do on the way. Rather than by pass the Adelaide suburban sprawl I had to go into it.

Route there.  https://goo.gl/maps/Ymv1KnZZz9w

First stop was the Your Suspension Shop which was just to check the condition of my front forks in regards to rust/stone chips in fork travel area. The seals need doing and I was thinking of adding some new progressive springs at the same time. Fork legs are ok and don’t need to be re-chromed ($150 a leg) but the ABS set up might be a bit beyond these guys so I will get a Honda dealer to do the seals and fit the springs.

Next stop was out to the Port Adelaide area to see one to of my twin grand-daughters, Krystal for an hour or so before heading off towards Naracoorte.


The bike was fuelled up at Coles Express West Terrace where it took 14 litres for the 259kms (18.5k/L) from home. The best figure I’ve had for towing a trailer and tail wind helped there. Next was fuel for me so I stopped of at Macca’s on Glen Osmond Road. Then one more stop at Woolworths in Murray Bridge for essentials that I’d forgotten.

I didn’t want to get to Naracoorte until Saturday morning so I spotted a place to camp near the Desert Camp Conservation Park  https://goo.gl/maps/RVyh6ph9LxH2  and stayed there until about 9:30 . 

 
Saturday morning. Having 65kms to ride I tried to work it for arrival around 10:30 which turned out ok as Rick (Lonerider1) arrived about 15 minutes later
.
The two of us walked the main street looking for a bank where we both got some cash out then back to town square where we had the bikes parked and Peter (StinkyPete) rode past us on our way back. We also noticed an ex BMW police bike as well.
 
It would have been just after midday when we headed of to the hotel for lunch and of course we all forgot to take our cameras in. Peter couldn’t stay to long as he had to get back so when it was time for him to leave I grabbed my camera and took a couple shots of Pete (red 1300), Rick (Blue 1300) and my Blue 1100 and trailer.
 


 
On Sunday morning Rick and I headed for the Naracoorte caves and made it in time for the fossil cave tour which took up from about 10:30 until about 11:45 by the time we got back to the bikes.
 
Overnight stay in the caravan park.
 
 
Swimming area behind the park
 


Fossil cave pictures are here, some turned out better without flash. https://www.flickr.com/gp/152195423@N05/U9R666
 
Bikes at cave entrance
 
 
Rick and I parted ways here while he went to the caves shop and I made for home as wanted to be home before dark.
 
From the caves I went to Woolworths Plus where the bike took 22.46L for 368kms (16.38kms/L) and then to the local take away store for my lunch. I left Naracoorte at about 12:30 and arrived back home at about 8:30pm. Return distance was about 550kms as I by passed the city and stopped at Tailem Bend for about 30 mins.
 

The odometer clicked over to 150000 about 1km south Of Riverton where I took a photo and added the 20 litres of spare fuel I had bought earlier after ridden 398kms

Total Distance travelled was about 1165kms.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment